Friday, May 8, 2015

Warmaster Ancients - Assyrian Army Counters

Update 8 May 2015: In November 2014, I published a set of Warmaster Ancients counters for the Assyrian army and then took them down shortly thereafter. This set replaces and updates the previous set, improving their looks and making them more versatile for other games. I've also added missing specialty units, redid images on some counters, and used a better background color for the font. As always, I hope folks find them useful.

Even though the time frame might be pushing it a bit, the Assyrians make a nice enemy for the New Kingdom Egyptian counter set I created and other armies. I would like to mention Paul Baker's inspirational website Brush Strokes. He painted most of the chariots and some of the spearmen miniatures I used in this set. He is a fantastic painter with a large and eclectic gallery of painted 28mm figures spanning 1000's of years. The other figures mostly come from Warlords stock photos.

Printing the Counters
I hope some of you find these counter sets useful.You can print these at office printing places, like Staples, using heavy card stock paper printed at actual size. You can also print on regular paper and then glue the counters to wooden bases. (Check the older posts on how I did this with my Empire army.) Currently, I'm printing the counter sets at Staples using regular paper, spray gluing the back of each sheet with Super77, attaching each sheet to an old comic book backing board, and then cutting out the counters using a sharp Xacto knife with steel ruler. Using the backing boards makes for cheap, sturdy counters.

Assyrians (Warmaster Ancients)
Being a later ancients army, the Assyrians are a hard-hitting and well-armored army. As a result, they have stronger but fewer units than the weaker but more numerous New Kingdom Egyptians. The most iconic unit in the Assyrian army is the four-horse heavy chariot. As with my other set, I've tried to provide enough counters for a typical 2000-point army, but using 1,200 to 1,500 points seems to be the Warmaster Ancients sweet spot. Unfortunately, I only have the one army list below. After we play with the Assyrians, I'll post my own lists. I hope you enjoy this and my other sets.



Click on the counter set image above to download the complete Assyrian counter set in PDF format. The set has enough counters to create any of the sample armies below and more. Of course, if you need more counters simply print more copies!

1500 points
1x General in Chariot Mount
2x Turtans (Leaders) in Chariot Mount
6x Spearmen
2x Bowmen
2x Skirmishers
2x Cavalry
4x Chariots
Total Points: 1495

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.