Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Peak at the Lead Mountain: Gothic Horror

The other night, I was lamenting about my frustrations getting back into painting my 28mm miniatures. It was one of those weird nights, I guess. Well, here is a photo from my "lead mountain" awaiting painting.

West Wind Gothic Horror
Folks, this is where my painting journey began 5 years ago. At the time, Jeremy and I were enthralled with the Van Helsing movie, which we had seen for the first time. We watched the DVD over and over again. So for my first painting project, I wanted to paint some Gothic Horror figures for gaming the movie. At the time, Old Glory had just lost the  Gothic Horror/Vampire Wars license, so I plunged into the Army Card to get as many of the Gothic Horror figures as I could for Van Helsing and some mummy-hunting Pulp gaming. Some of my first posts on this blog were about these figures, and an Old Glory pirate. As you can see, I haven't progressed very far with the Gothic Horror project! Of course, other things began catching my eye, like 15mm WWII and then 28mm WWII. As you can see, some other odds and ends also are crammed into this box.


GHL-4 London Detectives
Looking at a box full of blisters is boring, so here are photos of some painted West Wind Gothic Horror figures. These are the four figures from the London Detectives pack, which doesn't have any photos online. The fellow second from the right was the second 28mm figure I had painted and was seen back when this blog was new. That's why he looks like he's standing in mud! I also thought he'd make a good Pinkerton for Western games, so he got a duster color for his coat.

The latest figure of the bunch to be painted is the gent on the far right. I was so thrilled with him because for the first time I was able to paint fairly straight stripes on a figure, in his case the trousers! (My hands tend to shake a lot while I paint or do anything--it's a problem I've had all my life--so I have to brace them and the figures like crazy.) The others were done in between over a few year period, which explains why they all look different--I was trying to learn how to paint.

You know, I really love this pack!


9 comments:

  1. You REALLY liked V Helsing! And I have to say that the span of figures painted over the years reflects you've always been a good painter. Lively bunch of characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we really really like Van Helsing! We just got it on Blu-Ray to watch on our new 60" but I'm waiting to watch it until we get a new sound system to really appreciate it!

      Thanks for the compliment, Monty! :-)

      Delete
  2. That's a hell of a lead pile. Always good to go back and look at your old minis - see how you've improved! Love the guy with the monocle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fine, CP: Like they are ready to game! Dive back in and paint away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I did some more painting this afternoon. It was quiet here with the wife at work, my son played his John Phillips Sousa station on Pandora, and I painted away to lots of tubas and trombones. I got my painting mojo back! Then the wife began calling every 10 minutes, so there went that. Being deep in concentration and then jumping out of my chair in shock because the phone rings is not good when painting miniatures! LoL

      Got three more minis nearly finished. All I got to do is their caps and scarves.

      Delete
    2. Is your son in marching band or brass? My son adores classical music. Its all he plays.

      Delete
    3. No, he doesn't play any instruments. He just has a thing for the music. He loves classical music, which he plays a lot. I have no complaints about that! He's a good, clean, generous, and happy kid (young adult now, I guess). I couldn't ask for more. He has made my life worthwhile.
      --Bob

      Delete
  4. Dear lord, lead mountain indeed! Have you heard about In her Majesty's Name? Might be up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the rules look good, I'll get it from Amazon for only $12. We have a lot of Amazon Xmas gift cards to use.

      Delete

Sadly, I have to approve all comments to weed out nasty spammers.